What are some hot topics among our members? This is what trended in The Diet Doctor Facebook group last week:
Menopause making keto difficult
Menopause is a topic which is brought up frequently in the Diet Doctor Facebook group. Specifically, many members express how menopause seems to negatively impact their results on keto, or how it makes following the diet more challenging.
Since we know that significant hormonal changes take place during menopause, it’s perhaps not so surprising that many women put on weight, or find that things don’t work like they used to. Keto sometimes helps, but not in every case.
So what’s our advice for menopausal women who struggle with keto? Anne Mullens compiled a list of the top ten tips in her much-read guide on the topic. They are as follows:
- Don’t eat too much protein (keep in the range of 1.0-1.5g/kg/day)
- Don’t eat too much fat (eat to satiety but not more!)
- Try intermittent fasting or time restricted eating
- Watch out for carb creep (consuming more carbs than you realize)
- Cut out alcohol
- Avoid artificial sweeteners
- Begin weight training
- Get enough sleep
- Reduce stress
- Be realistic about how much weight you need to lose and the time it might take
Check out the full guide for a deeper explanation:
Top 10 tips to lose weight for women 40+
Many women in menopause find that along with other symptoms like hot flashes, night sweats and sleep problems, their abdomens thicken and their weight increases.